ARTIST BIO (July 2017)
Jo-Jo O’ & The WOODS is a songwriting partnership forged in primary school. Following the release of their 6 track EP ‘Old Friends & Lost Souls’ in April 2015, the duo toured Ireland, Northern Ireland and Western Canada, and have independently booked over 160 live performances to date. O’Donoghue and Woods have created an undeniable and distinctive sound; dark and moody, forward-driving rock and roll, built on the solid foundation of traditional folk songwriting and storytelling. Conjured by a force of nature, powerhouse vocalist.
Together, the duo invokes a rock and roll arena sound and spectacle that when translated to an intimate acoustic setting, is inconsequential. Their versatility is mastered. Their vulnerability is jarring. Their authenticity is powerful. Jo-Jo O’ & The WOODS is currently wrapping up the writing and recording of their first full-length album.
Live Performances (see jojooandthewoods.com/gigs for full gig history and upcoming shows)
Ireland & Northern Ireland
- Sep 2015-March 2016 - 70 gigs and showcases including: Belfast Nashville Songwriters Festival (Mar 2016), two night/ week residency at Darkey Kelly’s Pub, Dublin (Jan-Mar 2016)
- Feb-March 2017, Irish Spring Tour, 17 dates, 4 week tour
- May 2016–May 2017 - 51 shows including Lilac Festival, Marda Gras, Big Winter Classic, Road to Indie Week and Woodstock 2016 festival. $2.70 average merch/head rate.
- VIA Rail - Artist On Board Program - May 3-6, May 13-16 (Edmonton-Toronto round-trip)
- Dec 2016 – 330 tickets (400 cap) Vinyl Release Show at Bo’s Bar & Stage, Red Deer. $4.70 merch/head rate.
- Canadian Music Week 2017 Showcases - Toronto,Grace O’Malley’s (Apr 20), The Paddock Tavern (Apr 21)
- Duo and full band - 15 dates booked in to August 2017 (AB, Spain, UK)
- Metro Calgary, Jan 2016 (Canada Boy Closure)
- The Red Deer Express, Dec 2016 (Vinyl EP Release)
- 106.7 The Drive, Red Deer, Dec 2016 (In-Studio interview, Vinyl EP Release)
- The Lacombe Globe, July 2016 (TELUS Storyhive Winners)
- Metro Calgary, July 2016 (4th Street Lilac Festival performance)
- EQUAL Fashion Magazine, Northern Ireland, June 2016 (9 page feature - Belfast Nashville Songwriters Festival Editorial)
- STORYHIVE.com, May 2016 (TELUS Storyhive Winners)
- CBC Music, Mar 2016 (Searchlight 2016 early contenders)
- EQUAL Fashion Magazine, Northern Ireland, Dec 2015 (6 page Artist feature)
- Dublin’s Musicians & Songwriters Collective & Music Review, Sep 2015 (live acoustic set and EP)
- The Red Deer Express, July 2015 (EP release)
Radio (All 6 EP singles have received radio play)
- Canada: CKUA, CBC Radio, 106.7 The Drive
- Ireland & The UK: RTE Radio 1, TXFM, Dublin City FM, NEAR FM, Soundcheck Radio NI, GCR Digital Radio Greystones
- ‘Old Friends’ official music video distributed TELUS Optik™ TV On Demand (July 2016)
- ‘Old Friends’ live studio session on Irish television with the Dublin Institute of Technology Film & Broadcasting program (Dec 2015)
- ‘Old Friends’ featured in the closing credits of CityTV Edmonton’s Short Film Showcase (May 2015)
Awards & Accolades
- ‘Oh! Brother’ - Semi-finalist, International Songwriting Competition (Mar 2016)
- ‘Oh! Brother’ official music video, regional semifinalist CBC Searchlight 2016 (Apr 2016)
- ‘Old Friends’ - $10,000 TELUS STORYHIVE Small Town Music Video Grant (May 2016)
The band’s combination of instrumental skills, vocal prowess, songwriting strength and authentic showmanship is a rarity, and has established Jo-Jo O’ & The WOODS not only as a crowd-pleaser, but as a rising new Canadian act.